Belief and Goal Statements
1. The Pella gifted and talented program is most effective when it is collaboratively integrated within our educational system
Because of this belief, we are committed to working with teachers to differentiate within the core curriculum to meet the needs of students
Goal/Performance Indicator: Staff planning protocols include specific questions to plan for meeting the needs of gifted and talented students. (PLC, AIW)
2. Gifted learners should have the opportunity to explore their passions and interests in order to develop their talents
Because of this belief, we are committed to providing services for gifted learners by creating curricular opportunities that are responsive to their passions and interests
Goal/Performance Indicator: All secondary students with an individualized Personalized Education Plan will have a defined path to pursue their passion.
3. Gifted and talented programming should adapt to meet the unique social/emotional and learning needs of gifted learners
Because of this belief, we are committed to providing opportunities to develop the social/emotional skills to navigate life’s challenges
Goal/Performance Indicator: All students with a Personalized Education Plan will have the opportunity to meet with others who have similar emotional, social, and academic needs. Individualized plans will be written for students with specific needs.
4. Gifted and talented learners come from all socio-economic and cultural backgrounds
Because of this belief, we are committed to meeting the needs of students in the context of their current life situations
Goals/Performance Indicator: We will annually review the socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds of students receiving services to determine if they align with district demographics.
5. Gifted learners should have the opportunity to construct their own knowledge in a way that is academically, intellectually, and personally challenging
Because of this belief, we are committed to building high quality tasks and instructional techniques that offer the student the opportunity to think and operate at high levels of cognitive complexity
Goal/Performance Indicator: Staff planning protocols include questions that analyze the quality of tasks and instructional techniques for meeting the needs of gifted and talented students. (PLC, AIW)
6. All staff should be knowledgeable of the unique needs and characteristics of gifted and talented students and the collaborative approach necessary to meet those needs
Because of this belief, we are committed to providing professional learning opportunities and resources for all staff
Goal/Performance Indicator: Documentation exists at all levels for staff to be provided learning opportunities in gifted education.